For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 10 March 2017

Glasson Canal

Thursday, 9th March '17 - Thursday walk with Pete

Pete's wife Liz had an appointment at Lancaster hospital so I drove them both there for 8:30 am.  dropped Liz off, and continued the day with Pete, returning to collect Liz at 4:30pm.

At that time in the morning our first priority was for a bacon butty. Booth's supermarket café at Garstang provided.

Back at Galgate we walked up the road leading to Glasson Dock, but only as far as Conder Green. You would guess from the road's minor classification, and wiggly appearance on the OS map that it would be quiet,  but it was in fact busy, being the only practical link between the A6 and Glasson Dock. So we were dodging traffic, and at one point we were overtaken by a guy on a bike pulling a camping trailer.

Further on we came across the cyclist again repairing a puncture; he was French and had cycled from Plymouth so far. His plan was to see our Lake District, then Scotland, then, hopefully, to take a boat to Iceland. I showed off a bit speaking French, but his English was better than my French. This was the first puncture with his Kevlar enhanced tyres.

Our return route via the Glasson Canal was muddy in patches, but the sun was shining and Spring was in the air.

At the junction with the Lancaster Canal we turned north again and headed back to Galgate.

It was still far too early to pick up  Liz - our normal Friday routine is to drop Pete off at Liz's art class in Storth around 3:45pm. So we headed up to Williamson's Monument whose splendid green copper dome can be seen high above Lancaster from much of the surroundings. Unfortunately we were unable to ascend the monument due to ongoing repairs, but the views back down into Lancaster and across Morecambe Bay were impressive. The famous Pendle witches passed trough here in 1612 on their way to trial and for most, execution at Lancaster Castle.

We retreated to the café for tea and a cake.

The French cyclist

Glasson dock in the distance, and Heysham Power Station

Fortunately this holly-prickly stile was not on our route

On the road to Glasson

Some of the canal path was muddy

Glasson Canal and the Bowland hills

Two old codgers at the Glasson, Lancaster canals junction

Galgate Marina

The view down to Lancaster from Williamson's Monument


5 comments:

  1. The green tinge is gone from the photos, which is particularly good considering how lovely that sky is.

    Regarding the fourth photo down, it's guaranteed that walking past that point either Mick or I would have commented "Must have been a high tide".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green tinge is gone from the photos, which is particularly good considering how lovely that sky is.

    Regarding the fourth photo down, it's guaranteed that walking past that point either Mick or I would have commented "Must have been a high tide".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayl -If you look at my reply to Alan R on my last post "Slideshow" you will see the explanation for the green tint. I have now reverted to normal settings. By that refer to another multi-choice setting under the heading of "Scene"; on dull days I use the sub-heading "Scenery" and on bright days "Sports". The latter I think reduces aperture and increases exposure.

    I was searching for a witty caption for that photo and was conscious of my feeble effort. I score yours (and Mick's) 9/10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always interesting to read of your canal and other industrial antiquity (in which canals must be classed) travels - you always seem to find something interesting and unexpected - it's not quite wheelchair territory but I am noting them down for 'later' when we all have powered hover chairs in our dotage

    ReplyDelete
  5. gimmer - The cyclist was a bit of a blogger's gift. I meant to eulogise a bit more about the junction of the Glasson and Lancaster canals. I don't know if others have the same disease, but when I see something on the map that seems to have some significance in the middle of nowhere I am motivated to investigate. That junction had a perfect canal hump-back bridge built with that last forever, canal architecture and the whole location had a satisfying feel.

    ReplyDelete