For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 3 June 2016

Make things happen

Thursday 2nd June 2016

Two miles there and two miles back on a Tarmac road with Pete.

We saw many lapwings (peewits, or plovers) wheeling above trying to lure us away from their nests, curlews calling and wheeling, two hares frolicking on the road ahead of us then joined by a crow, a huge frog in a disgusting roadside mud bath, many wild flowers (not my strong point for identification) but nevertheless uplifting to see, a potential peaky little hill earmarked for a future ascent, and overall wonderful views of the northern Bowland hills, and across to Ingleborough and the limestone country.

A gate fifteen yards off the road closed off a track. There was a footpath sign, and we could have just walked on - I see many of those which usually turn out to be just a general indication of a public right of way, but something jarred in my mind. Researching the map for this walk I hadn't noticed a public right of way marked here, so I went to investigate. The sign was for the Lancashire Witches Walk  CLICK FOR DETAILS

Back home I chatted with Bowland Climber on the phone in the evening and he was enthusiastic to take on this attractive little fifty-one mile route which we could do in sections, either devising circular walks or using two cars for linear stretches.That is what I mean by "making things happen."

One regret was failing to photograph the frog. Brother RR who was a dedicated and instinctive journalist encourages me to photograph mishaps and anything more interesting than "endless boring landscapes." Why didn't I take that picture? I know why. The mud bath where the frog lay was an inert disgusting oily mix of cowflap and general unpleasantness rather than more romantic, honest stream fed mud, and it put me off, but that is no excuse - must try harder.



There were two hares, boxing and trying to mate. These hand held zoom shots were perhaps further blurred by my excitement at trying to get the shots. I hadn't noticed the crow in the last one until I saw the photos downloaded onto my computer - I'm not sure what his part was in the drama





Mallowdale Pike - a fine little hill I was previously unaware of. It could easily be incorporated in the plans for walking the Lancashire Witches Walk with BC. It doesn't seem to appear on any hill lists.

Ingleborough


CLICK TO ENLARGE



3 comments:

  1. Crows love to gossip and have something to tell the others at evening roost. No doubt he was gathering details for his turn at the talking stick. Or, perhaps, he had a wager with another bird on which hare would win.

    I love to watch rabbits boxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Crow - Hi Martha. Thanks for the natural history update. Perhaps the Crow was jealous? Do you have in hares in your domain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we have hares in North America. One long-eared species roams throughout the southwestern states, nicknamed the jackrabbit, though not a rabbit at all. I have cottontail rabbits in my yard and all over the neighborhood - and foxes that like to hunt them.

    Thought you might like this website: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/hop-getting-know-rabbits-hares-north-america/. I visited there to make sure I was remembering correctly about hares and rabbits in the US.

    While I haven't been leaving comments very often, I always read your posts. Your photos from your hikes and climbs cheer me, especially today's pics.

    ReplyDelete