For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 28 February 2016

Watch Hill and Clints Crags (Outlying Fells)



Saturday 27th February 2016

Watch Hill and Setmurthy Common      NY 149 318 and NY 159 318

Clints Crags                                                  NY 159 352

Wainwright's chapter "Watch Hill" includes the two summits above. I had previously ascended Setmurthy Common which is also a Marilyn.

*******************************

This post is mainly for the record and the photos, and the trip finishes off the northerly group of Wainwright's Outlying Fells. The remaining western chapters will be approached by the long drive to Broughton-in-Furness, then further north up the A595 to Cleator Moor. There also remains the multi- summit chapters on the eastern boundaries of the Lake District National Park which defines W's boundary for his book - these include the multi-peak Wasdale, Crookdale and Bannisdale horseshoes .

Of the 116 summits included in W's chapters I have now done 56, so I have 60 left to do.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Watch Hill from the road

On the way to Watch Hill summit

Perfect walking along a classic ridge between the two summits. I met the lone walker ahead on his way back from  Setmurthy Common summit. He was another peak bagger having completed various lists including the Wainwrights (All the 214 main Lake District peaks listed by W in his other books - I have done 98 of them, but never had a target to complete them)

From Setmurthy summit - better weather than 14th March 2014 - see next photo from that date

My caption at the time: The uninspiring summit of Setmurthy - not even a cairn.
The photo is from the same viewpoint albeit with less zoom.

From Clints Crags summit - Skiddaw and Bassenthwaite lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment