For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 1 March 2014

Roads

Inconsiderate, hell-bent drivers have featured recently. This winter, with Pete, has involved mainly road-walking. The code says you should face oncoming traffic. On a blind bend this is folly. We often dodge from one side to the other.

Route plotting occasionally leads to short, unavoidable stretches on busy roads, but sometimes this happens unintentionally. 

May - 2011 - Welsh Boundary Walk.


I followed a path where the farmer had asserted the way through his crop fields of head-high yellow rape. There was a dike on the right and the map indicated a right turn over a footbridge. The path on the map went across the middle of an established crop field ploughed out to the edges. There was no path visible. I retreated and found another  bridge fifty yards further on leading into a field enclosed by hedges. I retreated again to the next field which bordered a dual carriageway (my desired route was on its other side). I had a desperate battle with barbed wire, brambles and ditches eventually climbing onto the edge of the dual carriageway. This was safe with a wide grass verge, but I knew I  shouldn't have been there. The map showed a track parallel with, and two hundred yards further up the dual carriageway, but it was barred by a six foot ditch full of brambles and nettles, and I was wearing shorts, but I had no option. I lowered myself into the torture chamber and as I sank into the bottom, disappearing I guess, from the sightline on the dual carriageway, I heard a police car siren and suspected somebody had reported me. I finally got back on route and at the pub in Rossett cleaned up my bleeding and scratched legs, and then walked on another four miles and booked into The Greyhound here in Farndon.

Our walk this Thursday was on quiet lanes south of Over Kellet.



???

Which way?

Well, would you really want to go there?

---------------------------------

Yesterday I had a quck blast to Easington Fell in the Trough of Bowland - the nearsst unclimbed Marilyn to home.

Easington Fell from the road which makes for an easy 44m ascent

Zoom to Stocks Reservoir and Ingleborough from Easington Fell summit

Easington Fell summit
---------------------------------------------------------

Katie update





7 comments:

  1. Very good picture of the cat shooting...great floral sprays in the background. Patient cat if it lingered for more than two seconds after this photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike M - My daughter took the pic and I was not there so I don't know what happened next. The cat belongs to my son and is called Pancake because of a rude verse my wife used to recite to the kids when they were young.

    Three tom cats came knocking at the door
    One with a fiddle, and one with a drum
    And one with a pancake stuck to its bum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily your own adult and responsible attitude which takes over when you get behind le volant allows you to employ such phrases as "inconsiderate, hell-bent drivers."

    I remember handing over the controls of my newly acquired pride and joy as we drove towards Harome and marvelling at the restrained way you assumed your obligations.

    Going further back in time there was that occasion when you experimented with inversion, more or less as Aldous Huxley did before writing The Gates Of Perception.

    Maturity has freed you to make known your opinions in this way and it only remains to devise an appropriate Northern substitute pen-name for Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells. Antagonising of Arnside? Armour-Plated? Agronomous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. RR - Agronomous should be a proper word. Unfortunately its near associates in spelling, but not in the meaning I suspect you intended, relates to land management, a subject I know little about.

    I wonder if Aldous was a member of the Upside-down Club?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Katie picture Conrad, and very amusing recollections of your route to the Greyhound.
    Yours
    Elderly Skoda driver of Timperley

    ReplyDelete
  6. bowlandclimber6 March 2014 at 20:44

    Did you find out why the adjacent Waddington Fell had two spot heights on the OS map??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phreerunner - From Elderly Skoda Driver, Arnside. That's ambiguous, but still correct in both senses. I'm not sure about the ones from Timperley?

    --------------------

    Bowland Climber - From website: http://www.geograph.org.uk

    "If one height is shown by a trig pillar symbol, it is that of the base of the trig pillar. If a second is shown in brackets it is that of the highest point of the hill."

    ReplyDelete