For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 3 January 2010

51 Future plans

There is still snow around in Arnside. Local walks have been done each day, but many paths are icy and treacherous. I have had a burst washing machine pipe in the garage, and had to call out Green Flag a couple of days ago to get my car started because the battery had frozen up.

I have booked a flight from Liverpool to Carcassone for 25th May (one way via Ryanair) for my intended walk through The Languedoc and The Cevennes. The plan is to walk north on The GR7 until I am satiated or until I reach Lyons and then improvise on my return journey.

A blog reader requested a copy of my Land’s End/John’oGroats walk journal and subsequent emails revealed his intention to walk The Dales High Way which I mistakenly took to mean The Dalesway, but it turns out that these are two different walks, both of which I reckon are of outstanding quality. I am familiar with most of the territory, but the DHW starts in Saltaire initially traversing the locality of my youth and I fancy a bit of nostalgia, so I intend to do this ninety mile walk on a backpacking basis early in May before I go to France.

I am still committed to completing visits to the forty-nine trig points on OS sheet 91 (see blog number42) of which I have so far visited six. I intend to take the caravan to Middleton-in-Teesdale week commencing either 12th or 19th April for a few days with my friend Pete Mansbridge so that we can do the most northerly of these trigs which are a fair distance from home for day visits. In the meantime I will continue to make day excursions to the more southerly ones.

9 comments:

  1. Will you cheat if you use the Shipley Glen railway? Assuming it still exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued, as I guess you are, to know if it still exists.

    I do not see this walk as that kind of challenge and would be happy to treat myself to a bit of nostalgia if it is still there. I suppose I could Google it and find out, but somehow I would rather wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello

    All very interesting and will follow your exploits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G & L - Good to get another comment maker. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were wondering if we met you in 2008 as you were heading through An Caorann Mor for the Alltbeithe hostel? We chatted with you (if it was you!)and you told us that you hadn't managed to get into the L Ossian hostel a few nights earler.

    Although it's a long shot, your picture seems familiar. Hope you don't mind us asking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G & L - It was indeed me! I have walked that path a few times and reckon it is the wettest one in Scotland. I was well on the way to completing my Land's End to John o'Groats walk.

    I have looked at your blog - some good photos, and it looks as though you live in attractive parts.

    I welcome your enquiry and congratulate you on your memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're glad you liked the photos. We are uploading to SmugMug partly as yet another backup, and partly for anyone to view if the fancy takes them.

    Congratulations on all your long backpacking trips. We'll be interested to learn how you get on with mobile blogging. It's something we are considering but don't know whether to opt for a Blackberry, iPhone or whatever.

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G & L - If you want the extreact from my LEJOG journal covering the day we met I will email it to you if you let me have an email address. My email address is on my blog.

    I have now got my iPhone and I am ironing out its teething problems. I will be posting about its viability for blogging, and in particular whether it is possible to upload photos onto the blog from the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for that. I'd love to read the extract from your log but unfortunately I can't open your email link. It's something at my end and I suspect it's because I'm using yahoo mail through btinternet. I've had this problem before.

    I'll put my email on my blog and maybe you can open that. Many thanks again.

    ReplyDelete