For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 21 June 2009

Post number 11 (Onich)
















Beinn Mhanach. 10 miles – 3807 ft of ascent.

This was done yesterday, Saturday 20th June.
On the way, travelling south on the A82, and after Glencoe but before Bridge of Orchy there is a very popular lay by with a food wagon. I don’t know how many times I have driven past this and I have never stopped there, but on this morning I needed coffee and decided to stop. Although the coffee was only what one would have expected there was a point of interest in the form of a cairn erected in year 2000 to commemorate perished mountaineers and also Sir Hugh Munro (see the pics).

The ascent of Mhanach was interesting because of its reclusive nature. A long ascent up a glen with a variety of quality waterfalls leads to a col, and even at this point the objective cannot be seen. From the col an excellent path contours perfectly behind and below the summit of the mountain on the left of the col. After about a mile the path descends gently to col number two from where a steep climb leads to col number three between Beinn Mhanach and Beinn a Chuirn, and this is the first sight of your peak. Drizzle at the outset had cleared and the rest of the day improved. The pic from the summit looks east with Loch Lyon in view. By Munro standards this was a medium length trek, but I was still out for seven and a half hours.

Only six to go now!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a stone from every Munro? Would make an interesting feature for the garden!!
    If you have not collected said stones perhaps you might have to start all over again..............

    ReplyDelete